Most people have settled into their busy fall schedules of work and school activities. A common occurrence that may be the result of summer's road trips over bumpy roads is loss of the correct car alignment. Be prepared for winter's icy conditions by having the wheel alignment of your vehicle checked out and corrected as necessary.
Keep your ride comfortable and reduce potential damage to your vehicle by practicing these smart driving tips:
• Check tire pressure frequently. Both under-inflated and over-inflated tires handle poorly, and a sudden bump or pothole may cause tires to rupture.
• Keep the windshield clean. You want to see any bumps, puddles, or other obstacles in the road.
• Stay focused. Pay attention to the traffic around you. Avoid riding the fender of the vehicle in front of you as this restricts your ability to anticipate obstacles or sudden braking around you.
• Beware of puddles. There may be a deep and sharp-edged pothole hiding underneath.
• Reduce your speed. Taking it easy on bumpy or graveled roads will help prevent damage from a punctured tire or from losing the proper car alignment.
• Hitting the Pothole. If you cannot avoid hitting a bump or pothole, take your foot off the accelerator, brake lightly, if at all, and then let off the brakes entirely the moment before impact. As soon as possible, pull off the road to check for a flat tire or to see if the rims have been damaged.
• Avoid sudden swerving or stopping. Swerving or stopping suddenly and unxpectedly to avoid an obstacle creates a hazard for the vehicles immediately behind and beside you. You could also hit the bump on an oblique angle, potentially causing greater damage to your tires and wheel rims.
Remember: Preventive strategy for saving your wheel alignment is about preparation, driving skills, and reacting appropriately when the unexpected happens!
Looking for a reliable auto shop for a car alignment? Contact our ASE-certified technicians at Express Care Auto by calling 507-625-8005 today, or go on-line to www.expresscareautomn.com for more information. Our auto shop serves vehicle owners in Mankato, MN
, and the neighboring communities of North Mankato, MN, New Ulm, MN, and St. Peter, MN